On Pride

A good friend of mine used to create Bible studies for my group, and I’d write the summaries. I decided to post one here.

Verses to read

-Luke 18:9-14
-Matthew 23:13-28
-Galatians 5:16-25
-Luke 17:7-10 (Christ speaking to His disciples)
-Phillipians 2:1-9

Summary

Pride is the father of all sins. When we do things in pride, it prevents our actions from bearing fruit.

Every gift and vice we conquer is from God, and we cannot take credit for any form of excellence we may have. Recognizing this defeats the vice of pride.

If we don’t acknowledge that these things come from God, then it bolsters our pride; the greatest evil of all. This makes said virtue meaningless. Pride turns piety into damnation.

The proper, humble servant believes that he is lowly. He sees his good deeds as merely doing his duty.

“Only when a box is empty can it be filled; only when the ego is deflated can God pour in His blessings. Some are already so stuffed with their own ego that it is impossible for love of neighbor or love of God to enter.” - Venerable Fulton Sheen

“It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.”
-Saint Augustine

Do not think yourself better than others lest, perhaps, you be accounted worse before God Who knows what is in man. Do not take pride in your good deeds, for God’s judgments differ from those of men and what pleases them often displeases Him.
-Thomas A Kempis, Imitation of Christ

3 Likes

Your post does not talk about honor, you are an American and we have this natural demand to be heard and listened to regardless of what come out of our mouths.
Thinking about why we want to say something and what points we want to make, is far more important than just demanding people listen to us.
As Americans we definitely need to humble ourselves, lack of charity and Vainglory are our biggest issues. If we do not have honor and respect in a group when we think we do than it is Vainglory

1 Like