Danger Signals: The Solas of the Reformation

Over the past several years, I've read a great deal of literature on both the Catholic Church and the Reformation. Many of my protestant friends have brought up concerns about my fascination with the Catholic Church, and everyone seems to have varying understandings of the problems surrounding it. Some are wary of the teachings of Rome for historical reasons (i.e. the selling of indulgences), some suspect heresy (i.e. their view of the sacraments), and still others believe it to be complete apostasy from Christ’s true Church (i.e. the veneration of Mary and the saints). There are many arguments against the Church of Rome; some historical, some personal, and some doctrinal. The historical problems are absolutely valid, as are some of the personal. Unfortunately, these historical and personal problems have been misinterpreted to be doctrinal problems. A deep misunderstanding of Catholic teaching has been taught to protestant believers for centuries, and it has given many of us cause to shun the Catholic Church. It is for this reason that I've decided to return the favour and bring up some of my concerns with the doctrinal pillars of the “Reformed Church,” the Solae, and clarify the actual teachings of the Catholic Church in response to these Solae. Historical issues aside, is important to examine the foundational groundwork of Reformational doctrine in the 16th century, and properly assess whether or not we may have created a theology that is attractive, but subtly heterodox. It will be hard for the average anti-papist to forget the historical travesties of certain Catholic leaders during the Reformation, but it is important to remember that the abuse of doctrine does not equate to the invalidity of doctrine.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://legiochristi.com/dangersignals/