Your clergy's attitude toward Christianity online, and internet Christianity's value

I recently started attending a theology seminar through my diocese, and someone in the zoom call brought up the Orthodox Ethos. I had never heard any local priests talk about online Christianity and wasn’t really sure what to expect, but the priest explained how the diocese was actually very worried about how so many people are being catechized through youtube videos and internet posts and dismissed them as not worth anyone’s time. While that definitely makes sense, it sort of struck me as weirdly hostile for an Orthodox priest considering that in America you very often won’t find Orthodoxy by nearly any means other than the internet. The internet is a war for your mind and more importantly your attention, and Orthodoxy and in general Christianity being involved in that has probably saved untold thousands if not more from complete ruin.
Thoughts on this? Should Christendom not invest in activity on the internet?

2 Likes

I think I can understand how your Priest feels due to the relative inaction of E-Christians. But to be honest, the places that need the Church most are often places like the internet that can become safe havens for degenerates due to anonymity. There needs to be an internet presence in this day and age.

2 Likes